Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Less is More, More or Less

.
 
You must feed the fish. They're all in hiding.
You also notice after you've uploaded tank photo
that the floor lamp reflected on the tank. Oh, well.

A blue, sheep-shaped teabag catcher makes it taste better.
You get a few more things done, then you brew a cup of Chai.
 
Does anyone else remember the days when you had to flip
the record to hear the last part of the story?
You put on a record. Mother Goose is good for the task ahead.

 
The oldest nephew is turning the big FIVE.
He's also convinced that he'll be driving right after
his birthday, so you and Himself decide to get him
something he can drive safely (maybe).
 
Considering the outrageous price of wrapping paper,
you've decided to get a pack or two of multi-colored tissue
paper. You had a vague idea of something intriguing and festive,
but found dark blue tissue paper with glitter in it.
Himself likes it better than the multi-colored and so do you.


Thinking for a day or two, you knew you had to do something
to hide the seams in the paper. Snowflakes!
The blue and silver tissue seems to be made for them.
They remind you of Hanukkah, the decor for which you love,
but have the complication of not being Jewish. Oh, well.
 
(Ehow.com in the Mom section had some videos on snowflakes.
I only wish they'd been a little more folding and cutting action
with a little less talking about it.)
 
You dig out the bottles of blue, silver and white glitter glue.
You discover that the silver glitter has settled out of its glue.
You try stirring it with a toothpick and end up using a drink swizzler.
(a purely non-alcoholic drink swizzler)
 
Kitchen decor in the background. No, I did NOT
hang that unbelievable apple border.
Cha-ching! You're in business.
You cut out a huge blue flake, first.
 
Ugh, not nice against the paper.
After the trouble of cutting it out, though, 
you aren't willing to throw it away.
 
No, you press on, thinking glitter glue will take care of it.
 
It doesn't, not really.
 
 
You also use waaayy too much glitter glue.
 
You decide that computer paper is better than construction paper any day. You
make several white snowflakes that make you hum "Let It Snow."
You revert to 4th grade and stick them on with Elmer's School Glue, weighing
each flake down -so they'll be flat- with the pack of useless construction paper.
 
You smack your forehead when you realize you should've ironed your snowflakes.
This would've eliminated the need to press them down.
(It's true! High heat, no steam. Works great..when you remember to do it. *sigh*)
 
Never mind, you're done.
 
You're also fairly certain that your homemade wrapping job will be
able to hold its chin up among other presents stuffed in bags that are way
too small or left over from weddings, anniversaries and other birthday parties.
 
 
So will the train.
 
Maybe.







2 comments:

magnoliasntea said...

That's the best looking aquarium I may have ever seen. And all the flora must be a huge comfort to the fish that are lower on the food chain, too. o.O
Somebody's going to love their birthday present. I have to say you gave the tissue paper a life of its own. The blue snowflakes actually give a nice contrast and depth among the white ones. That was a great idea.

TanasiGirl said...

I think the flora really makes the difference. I'd never seen the plecos in our other tank come out like these do. They feel safe, apparently.
Thanks about the snowflakes. I doubt my coherence when I think about the fact that it'll be ripped off and thrown away, but then I think of my own reaction to poorly wrapped gifts and I'm encouraged. (How's that for a run-on sentence?)