Friday, November 09, 2012

November-ness

What a nice month November is.

   I've heard about the Movember thing. I knew nothing about it, but Google helped me find out more at Movember United States. I would convince Himself to grow a moustache in support, but he already possess an excellent goatee. I would encourage anyone else to look into the Movember movement, though, it seems a worthy enough cause.

   My next topic actually happened the last weekend of October. I was informed of a wonderful blog called Mennonite Girls Can Cook by Mum. I have really begun to enjoy this blog. We recently bought 20 lbs. of ground beef (on sale!), and I've nearly run out of ideas. I've already found several recipes on their blog that involve ground beef and have nothing to do with meatloaf (hurray!).
   Anyhow, I spotted Oma's Soft Cream Cookies. I happened to have all the ingredients, and so decided to give it a whirl. They're delicious warm! Even plain, they're great right out of the oven. The recipe suggests a glaze and Mum recommended the orange glaze we made for some regrettable cookies last year.

Fresh oranges are best! More work but worth it.
Orange Glaze
2 T butter, melted
3-4 T orange juice
1 T grated orange peel (fresh is best!)
2 c powdered sugar (this is a starting point, for glazing cookies you may need a good bit more)

   Combine butter, juice and peel in medium bowl. Whisk in sugar til spreading consistency. Enjoy on your favorite cookies.

They were good. Though the cookies lose their freshness after a day or two.
This recipe came from a lady who submitted it to one of the Country (not music) magazines. I can't remember which one. If you've ever had Pillsbury Orange Rolls (in the can), this glaze is every bit as good as the glaze that comes with them.

   The front porch has come on well, and only lacks two boards (opposite side from the picture) of being finished. Himself was quite in his element.

   I've recently been the happy winner of a 21-day giveaway on Apron Memories. Follow the link in the sidebar to learn more about Tie One On. Click on the "Apron Memories" banner at the top of her page to go to her main page and learn about the giveaway entry requirements and prizes. Happy, early Tie One On Day to me! I can't wait to make up these patterns. I already have plans for Verna to help fulfill my Tie One On plans.

Happy N(M)ovember days!

1 comment:

magnoliasntea said...

I'm drooling over those cookies. I'd make them in a heartbeat if I wouldn't eat them all. o.O

Those apron patterns were a really nice prize. And three of them to boot!

The porch looks great in the pic. Can't wait to see it in person.