Friday, April 20, 2012

Spring Things

     This is mostly an update for you-people-I'm-related-to-but-haven't-seen-in-a-while (you know who you are).  You'll recall (though I never posted about it on here), that we had the dubious fortune of being given a 55-gallon aquarium with ten exotics in it, back in January. There was 2 plecostomus, 1 ten-inch tiger oscar, 1 clown loach, 1 black-banded leporinus and 5 silver dollars. There was a tragedy involving 4 silver dollars and the leporinus. Himself still hasn't forgiven me and brings it up every time we go to a fish-selling store. I was helping, or thought I was, is all you're going to hear from me about it. 
     
     Anyhow, we have since that time discovered that the 2 plecos are male and female. This discovery was made when we decided to check on the loach (hadn't seen it in 2 weeks) by lifting the "cave" and making him show himself, dead or alive. Loachie was definitely alive but we were electrified to find a small school of half-inch plecos. We were even more electrified to see Oscar snapping them up. This whole thing has strengthened Himself's formerly half-hearted desire to ditch Oscar.

The infamous Oscar de la Renta.
     Since that time, Loachie has passed away, and we highly suspect the plecos for his demise. He always hid in the cave with the male pleco and we found out that loaches are bad about eating pleco eggs. After learning about the egg-eating thing, we didnt' mourn too long. Hard to mourn a fish that you can't see and enjoy because they're always hiding. We also found a remaining pleco fry on his carcass, which Himself didn't realize was there until it had already followed Loachie to his porcelain grave. Oops. We'll be more careful next time, I promise.
     
     I've finally bitten the bullet and dug into my baseball/football/soccer/hockey card collection (left over from the years when baseball was still popular). Bleh. It felt like my brain nearly went AWOL on me, while I sorted and sorted and sorted my cards out. Happily, I found a couple of sites online that helped me do a lot of pricing. Unhappily, most of my cards are worth less than fifty cents. About fifteen to twenty of them are worth more than a dollar, and I hope to stick them in someone's yard sale for a little less than the worth of the more valuable ones and pray that somebody will take them off my hands. 
This is a very small portion of what I have. *sigh*
     On a brighter note, I soaked and planted moonflower seeds in a temporary pot, yesterday. I won't be planting them in ground until I know what's going to happen with the front porch (Himself has all the lumber to rebuild it, he's waiting on a few more details and some "oomf.").
    
     I also started a Leafy Washcloth and ripped it out because I dropped a stitch and decided to start over, since I was only about 12 rows in. I'd started it in one of my Sugar 'n Cream Stripes. I don't recall the name of the color, but it's faded blue and green with no white. Very nice and understated for a leaf. Yes Mum, I will too make the leaf and if it's as addictive as it seemed.. Well, I might make several.
     It was lovely chatting, but I really must do the laundry. Ciao, y'all.

1 comment:

magnoliasntea said...

There's that big eater! He is a beautiful color though.
You're gonna love that washcloth. I bet you'll make a dozen of them.
Have a great week!