We have a phoebe nest in our carport, this year. Mom climbed up on a ladder and took the picture for me. I had no idea they had so many eggs in one hatching. The only thing the article link doesn't mention, is that Phoebes like to be near a constant water source. The birdbath is definitely paying off:D (If you're reading this, thanks again, Oldest!)

See the strings around the eggs? They robbed my coco fiber-lined hanging flower pots.
The Man and I made flan, one evening. (Flan, with the 'a' pronounced as in "ball.") It's one of his favorite desserts and any time we have a lot of eggs, he gets flan. I don't really like it, I ain't much on things that taste eggy. Of course, that's just more for The Man:)
The same night we made flan, we noticed how big and bright the moon was (the last full moon). So we went out on the back deck and took a few pictures. Here's The Man's favorite:

I don't know how much anyone knows about early Virginia history, but I thought this was pretty neat. On Memorial Day, we went down to the river (near Eggleston) and The Man pointed out a set of cliffs. He reminded me of the story of Mary Draper Ingles, who was kidnapped by Shawnee Indians. The Man said that he was told that Mary had to climb down these cliffs as she made her way back to her family.
I thought it was particularly interesting, since we live only a little ways from Draper's Valley, named for the Draper family. Here are a couple more links on Mary Ingles and her trek:
-Blue Ridge Country: Mary Ingles' Return
-New River Gorge National River: Mary Draper Ingles
I hope y'all are having better luck at mowing and gardening than I am, this week. Bye!


3 comments:
Now, that's a great peony shot, but I think it's really a draw between the full moon and the Draper cliffs! Good pictures. (I'm not sure I'd be able to climb them, but in her boots I'd have given it a try, too.)
Flan for the man; it could rhyme if you wanted it to, I think.
Tell your mom she oughten to be climbin' ladders at her age...lol.
#1 You are welcome and #2 That name 'oldest' is gonna hafta go. LOL!
You need to tell me what you want me to call you, then! I almost never thought of "the man".
Post a Comment