Monday, April 26, 2010

First Post and Happenings

A new blog is like a new canvas, on which you either make art, or a mess. Mine'll prob'ly be more comparable to a kindergarten fingerpainting . I have to admit, I didn't really like my first blog. Too blasé, nothing fun. I hope to have lots of fun with this blog. Hopefully I'm getting off on the right foot with the nifty cherries. They were too cute to pass up. I have a matching header (coming soon!), but paint shop pro is giving me fits, trying to edit it. I do have a dilemma, though. I've noticed that other people have little nicknames for their spouses. I can't think of anything to call my husband. If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

I think I'll start with a bang. Literally. Saturday before last, our power went out. My husband got up to go to work (yes, on a Saturday, no fun). He no more than turned a light on and we heard a loud "POP" and you could almost feel a wave (electrical surge?) go through the house as all the lights went off. The sun wasn't quite up, yet, so I had to fumble for matches and a candle (flashlight batteries were all dead, naturally), and find an electric bill for the outage number.

After my husband reported the outage, he got ready for work whilst I packed his lunch and dug out something for breakfast. He went out to look at the transformer and came back in and said the pole had blown into two pieces and was on fire. I grabbed my camera and went to have a look. Indeed, the top 2 feet of the pole had been blown off and the very top of the pole was on fire. The piece that had blown off had been on fire but was going out. I took some pictures:


My husband called the power company and alerted them, but it still took an hour for them to get there. It might've been truly dangerous if it hadn't rained the night before. As it was, I kept a close eye on the pole after my husband left. At one point, one of our neighbors came outside and gaped at the pole (they're on a different transformer, so their power was on) and ran helter-skelter in his pajamas back inside. The fire department showed up in a few minutes (one small engine, with one man- they were concerned, obviously), and on his heels was the power company (another truck, with another man who didn't get to sleep in on Saturday).

Happily, the power was back on in about 3 hours. But not before I had to fry pancakes on the grill.

1 comment:

magnoliasntea said...

Niiiiiice new blog! I enjoyed the other one, but I can appreciate this all-new one, too. Can't wait to see the coordinatin' header.

That power pole SNAP!! could have caused a lot of mayhem if it hadn't rained just before it happened. Somebody must be lookin' out for y'all.

Love the Tie One On linky dink icon.